We talk a lot about adventure cats and the KCC Adventure Team on our blog. With tips and advice on training, sharing about favorite destinations and must-have gear, we hope to inspire others to get outside with their cats and show the world that cats can enjoy going out just as much as dogs do! However, we also recognize that not every cat has the personality, temperament, or desire to be an outdoor adventure cat. Don’t worry though – we’ve got those kitties covered too, because today we are sharing some tips and cool products from Pioneer Pet that will add some excitement to your INDOOR Adventure Cat’s life!
The Importance of Bringing the Outside “In”
Keeping cats indoors is a very common decision for those with cats. It is undeniably safer. However, there are aspects to being outside that your indoor kitty is missing out on. The sights, the smells, the freedom to climb – just to name a few. While indoor cats can definitely have full and happy lives without ever stepping foot outdoors, it is especially important for them to have environmental enrichment and stimulation in their indoor environment so they don’t become bored. Boredom can lead to several issues such as depression, destructive behavior, aggression, inactivity, and over-grooming.
Ways to Create a More Stimulating Environment for Your Indoor Adventure Cat
Aside from the obvious solution of making sure your cat has plenty of toys to play with, there are a few things you can do to add environmental enrichment and adventure to your cat’s indoor world.
- Scratchers & Markers
- Vertical Space
- Places to Hide
- Tasty Treats
1. Scratchers & Markers – The Pioneer Pet Ultimate Scratching Post
Having a full length, durable scratching post for your indoor kitty is an absolute must. Scratchers are good for so many things, like giving your cat a place to stretch and exercise, a means to relieve stress and aggression, a way to remove old nail sheaths from their claws, and a place to mark their territory.
Our #1 choice for cat scratching posts is the Pioneer Pet Ultimate Scratching Post. Why? Because…
- Measuring in at 32″ tall, it allows my cats to get in a really great stretch as they scratch and play on it. In fact, they can even get all four paws up on the scratcher for a super intense scratching/climbing session!
- It has a wide base, making it extra sturdy so I don’t have to worry about it tipping over. This is especially important for my wobbly girl, Sophie!
- It is covered in a high-quality and durable woven sisal. After a few months of use, I can’t even tell that my cats have scratched on it, even though they do all the time!
No house is complete without an Ultimate Scratching Post, in our opinion! In fact, we think every home should have one in every room!!! 🙂
2. Vertical Space – The Pioneer Pet Cat Climber
One of the coolest parts about going outdoors for your cat is the freedom to climb and get up high. Whether it be climbing over rocks, climbing in a tree, or just scaling a wall, cats LOVE vertical space. High areas provide your cat with a safe and secure spot to survey their surroundings, plus they give your cat exercise!
One of the most unique “vertical space” products we’ve seen is the Pioneer Pet Cat Climber. The Cat Climber is a four-tiered shelf system that hangs on the back of any standard door in your home. It is very sturdy and can be easily moved from door to door if you like to change things up. It also has a sisal post, which provides yet another means for scratching and marking.
We love the Cat Climber because…
- It’s provides my indoor adventure cats who don’t get to go out and experience the outdoors with some quality vertical space.
- It has multiple tiers, which provide different vantage points and views and allow more than one kitty to enjoy it at a time.
- It doesn’t take up any floor space, so it is perfect for a small home or apartment.
3. Places to Hide – Bootsie’s Corner Scratcher
If you’ve lived with a cat for any time at all, you know that cats have a tendency to find the most out-of-the-way hiding spots. Most of them love to hide underneath or behind furniture or in little cubbies and beds. Providing your cat with several of these kinds of hidey-holes is a great way to enrich their environment.
Bootsie’s Corner Scratcher from Pioneer Pet is one of my gang’s favorite things. It actually doubles as both a secret hideaway AND a scratcher! We have it propped up in a corner of our living room with a blanket set up behind it so the kitties have a comfortable spot to relax and hide. And when they emerge from their secret spot, they can enjoy a good scratch and stretch 🙂
What makes Bootsie’s Corner Scratcher so awesome?
- It doesn’t take up much space.
- It has a high scratching area to encourage stretching and exercise.
- It gives my kitties a neat spot to get away from it all.
4. Tasty Treats – Pioneer Pet Kitty’s Garden
Some of the best parts about adventuring outdoors are all the sights, smells, and even tastes. The outside is literally a whole new world for your cat, with something new to see or smell each time. These things are difficult to mimic indoors, but it is possible. In fact, one of our favorite way to bring the outside “in” is with a cat grass garden!
The Pioneer Pet Kitty’s Garden is our favorite cat grass garden. Here’s why:
- It contains oats, wheat, rye, and barley – a wide variety of grass that my cats can safely enjoy from the comfort of their home.
- Not only does it give them a little taste of the outside, but it also has health benefits! The grass aids with digestion and also helps to prevent hairballs.
- It is SUPER easy to grow. I have a black thumb, but I was able to grow the Kitty’s Garden with no trouble at all. It also sprouted and grew very quickly. Within 4 days, my cats were able to chow down.
While we are definitely big proponents of adventuring outside with your cats (with a leash and harness, of course), as you can see, there are plenty of ways to bring the benefits of the outdoors inside for your cats. Not every cat is suited to be an outdoor adventure cat. Believe me, we know – out of our seven cats, only three of them enjoy going outside. This is precisely why we are grateful for Pioneer Pet and all of their amazing products. Now ALL of my cats can get a taste for what it’s like to be an INDOOR adventure cat. 🙂
Enter to win a Pioneer Pet Cat Climber!
Now that we’ve teased you with all of these fun ways to bring the outside in, it’s time for an opportunity to win something for your very own indoor adventure cat! Pioneer Pet has generously provided us with an extra Cat Climber for one of our readers. To enter, please complete the Rafflecopter widget below:
About the giveaway: No purchase necessary. Giveaway is open to US residents only, except where prohibited by law. Giveaway will run from March 23, 2018 at 12:00am EST through March 31, 2018 at 12:00am EST. One winner will be randomly selected and notified via email. Winners will have 48 hours to claim their prizes. Failure to do so will result in forfeiture of the prize.