Sunday Selfies: The Big Reveal!
On Wednesday we teased you all with some photos of a big cage we were setting up. “What could it possibly be for?!” we asked.
Several guessed that we may be getting a bird…
A couple of you guessed that we must be fostering kittens…
but one furiend (MeowMeowMans from Animal Shelter Volunteer Life) guessed correctly…
We have TWO new furry family members, and they are…. SUGAR GLIDERS!
We would like to introduce you to Jubilee & Sydney!
Having sugar gliders is something I’ve always wanted, and when Bobby saw them, he fell in love too. We decided we had to have them, and home they came!
Bonding with them can sometimes take up to several months. We are at the three week mark right now. They will eat out of my hand and let me pet them. They won’t let me pick them up or hold them yet, but I have a feeling it won’t be long! They are beyond adorable, and I can’t wait until they feel comfortable enough with me to ride around in my pocket or in my shirt!!!
Basic Sugar Glider info for anyone who is interested:
- They are marsupials, originally from Australia
- Their name refers to their love of all things sugary and sweet and their ability to glide through the air like a flying squirrel
- They have a lifespan of 12-15 years
- They are nocturnal
- Once full grown, they will weigh about 5 ounces and be the size of my hand
- They eat a homemade diet consisting of fruits, vegetables, and protein, with the occasional meal worm treat
- They are very active and playful and can form a strong bond with their humans
*The gliders and the kitties will unfortunately never get to be furiends. As cute as it would be, it would also be dangerous to the gliders. Jubie and Sydney have a secure cage that they stay in. Once they have bonded to us enough for us to be able to let them out of their cage, the cats will have to be put up during glider time.
I am looking forward to the wonderful and interesting journey of having sugar gliders! I know this is a cat blog, but I hope you all won’t mind the occasional sugar glider post 🙂
We are participating in the Sunday Selfies Blog Hop hosted by The Cat on My Head. Visit their blog to see all of the other wonderful entries or to enter a selfie of your own!