What Makes an Awesome Pet Sitter?
Finding a pet sitter for your beloved fur babies can be a tricky business. Trusting the care of your pets into the hands of someone else while you’re away isn’t easy, but if you are able to find the right person to do the job, your travel anxieties will be alleviated considerably. We have been blessed with an amazing cat sitter, and what a difference that has made! Though we miss the kitties a ton when we go out of town, we can rest easy knowing that they are being incredibly well cared for.
So what makes our pet sitter so awesome? I’m glad you asked!
1. She has a sincere love for animals. It was obvious to me when Gena came over to our house for the first time to be introduced to the gang. She was gentle with them and didn’t force herself on them if they were being shy. The kitties warmed up to her and seemed to like her too, which is always a good sign. She also has a Facebook page for her pet sitting business, on which she shares posts about lost/found animals in the community in addition to various other animal-related things. It is clear how much she cares for animals.
2. She attends to all of our cats’ needs. With five cats, two of which are special needs, there are a lot of things to manage when watching our gang. Sophie is wobbly, Sassy has to be kept separate from everyone, there are multiple litter boxes that need scooping, Caster eats in this room, Sampson eats in that room, and God forbid DON’T OPEN ANY CANS UNTIL EVERYONE IS IN THEIR RESPECTIVE EATING ROOMS! When I explained all of this to Gena on her initial visit, she didn’t balk or run for the hills. She took it all in, asked questions, and genuinely wanted to be sure that she knew exactly what needed to be done. And she continues to manage it all flawlessly.
3. She texts me after every visit. “Hi Emily, the cats have been fed, litter boxes are scooped, and we enjoyed some play time. Everyone is doing great!” These short but sweet text messages give me so much peace of mind. I am a huge worrier, and I can sometimes let my imagination get carried away with all kinds of worst-case scenarios. Getting Gena’s updates is always a huge relief.
4. She is there for us at a moment’s notice when there is a family emergency. When Bobby’s grandmother passed away earlier this year or when my grandmother fractured her spine – times when we weren’t able to give her advanced notice that we would be in need of her services – we were able to call on Gena the day before we had to go out of town, and she was there for us. During difficult times like those, not having to worry about whether or not the cats were getting taken care of was such a blessing.
5. She goes the extra mile. Not only does Gena attend to the cats’ needs, she does all kinds of extra things that we didn’t even ask or expect of her. If there are dishes left in the sink, she cleans them. She sweeps and tidies up the litter box area. She opens and closes blinds (okay, I do ask her to do that, but I consider it an extra). I swear our house always looks better than how we left it. It is a pleasant surprise every time we come home!
I understand that finding a trustworthy and able pet sitter isn’t always easy. We didn’t find Gena right off the bat. We went through a few duds too. This is why, if you are in search of a pet sitter, I highly suggest interviewing them first – find out what services they offer, and have a checklist of things that you expect from them. And then once you find the perfect one, don’t. ever. move. And don’t let him/her move either 😉
*If you live in the Macon, Georgia area, I highly recommend calling up Gena the next time you need a pet sitter! You can get in touch with her on her Facebook page.