The Love Languages of Cats: Sampson
We are excited to be continuing our series on The Love Languages of Cats today. In case you’ve missed our previous installments, we have been talking cat love languages this month in hopes of shedding some light on the many different ways that cats may express their love. Cats are often misunderstood, and some people say they don’t like cats because cats aren’t loving. I’ve come to realize these people just haven’t learned to understand a cat’s “love language”… yet! So read on to learn more about Sampson’s love language – perhaps you will see some similarities between him and your cat!
Sampson’s love language is pretty easy to decipher. He’s pretty darn lovey! He is very shy around people he doesn’t know though, so not too many people get to experience his sweet side. He is a big momma’s boy, so I am one of the lucky few who gets to know Sampy’s love language!
- He is a major lap cat. If there are legs to be cuddled on, Sampy is there!
- He gives the sweetest head-butts. When I’m working at the kitchen table, Sampson is usually sitting on the table right beside me, giving me lovey eyes, head-butting me, rubbing all over me, and trying to lie down on top of my computer or whatever I’m working on. I have a hard time resisting my sweet boy, so it always takes me 10 times longer to get anything done with him around. I’m not complaining.
- He loves to have conversations. I admit – I talk to my cats. All the time. Sampson is one who always talks back. We can go back and forth all day long
- He greets us at the door. Like Kylo Ren, Sampy is always there at the front door when we get home from somewhere. He spends a lot of his time lying on the top level of our cat tree that’s in one of our front windows. When he sees us pull up, he sits up alertly. Then he flirts with us through the window, and by the time we open the door, he is right there talking to us and rubbing up against our legs.
- And finally, Sampson’s signature lovey move… The Suckle! Since he was a little baby, Sampy has been a big time suckler. Not of soft blankets or pillows. Nope – Sampy’s favorite suckle spot is our necks! If I pick him up, he puts his paws around my neck and immediately starts suckling. He has literally given me hickies before. Sometimes he is so desperate for suckles that he jumps from the floor onto my back or into my arms from the counters to get them. And as soon as our alarm goes off in the morning, he is right there ready for suckles. Maybe it’s weird, but I love it! This is only something he does with my husband and me (and occasionally my mom), so I know Sampy Suckles are something special, and I cherish them.
I definitely share a special and deep bond with Sampson, and I wouldn’t trade it for the world. Part of the reason we have developed this bond is because I have taken the time to learn his love language, and I speak it back to him. I guarantee you that if you take the time to understand the different ways your cat expresses his love, you will also deepen your bond with him.
Does your cat have a “Signature Lovey Move” like Sampy’s suckles?