Traveling with a Cat: Sophie’s Packing List
Sophie is an Adventure Cat and loves to go on… well, adventures! She’s been boating, camping, sledding, canoeing, she’s been to parks, to outdoor concerts…the list goes on. Though, none of these adventures compare to the biggest one yet – going to the BlogPaws Conference! We will be hitting the road in just two days!
Now… what do you pack for a traveling cat? Below is Sophie’s list of travel essentials, broken down into categories.
Not only does Sophie travel practically, she travels in style! Here are her transportation essentials:
- Sleepypod – for ultimate safety and comfort while riding in the car
- Wacky Paws Pet Sling – for easy, comfortable, and hands-free mobility while on the go
- Harness & Leash – for when Sophie wants to get down and do some exploring of her own
You can’t travel with a kitty without making sure you have all of the necessary toiletries (aka litter box + accessories).
- Disposable litter boxes – I always bring two.
- Litter – boxes of litter are heavy. Thankfully though, the Arm & Hammer litter we usually use comes in a 50% lighter version – perfect for travel!
- Litter scoop – scooping that litter box is a must, no matter where you are or where you’re going!
4. Plastic grocery bags – we usually use a litter genie to dispose of scooped kitty waste, but those aren’t very travel friendly. Instead, plastic grocery bags make great poopy bags while on the go. Plus, they are free!
5. Big trash bags – I bring along 2-3. You need something to put the disposable litter box in when you’re done with it!
6. Hand broom + dust pan – tracking litter out of the litter box is normal. However, Sophie is a notorious litter flinger/kicker/thrower. She will no doubt make a huge mess at some point over the course of our trip, and I certainly don’t want to leave that mess for the housekeeping crew at the hotel.
An obvious essential!
- Favorite canned food – a kitty’s gotta eat!
- Can topper – Sophie certainly isn’t going to eat a whole can of food at one meal, so we have to be sure to bring along a plastic can topper to keep the can covered in the fridge for later.
3. Plastic utensils – got to have a way to get the food from the can into the food bowl
4. Popware travel feeder – having food and water dishes that won’t break easily is important while traveling. I bought a Popware travel feeder specifically for our BlogPaws trip. It has two dishes, both of which are collapsible (and removable for easy cleaning), and it also has foldable legs. When the food dishes are collapsed and the legs are folded in, the feeder lays completely flat for easy travel storage.
5. LOTS OF TREATS! (not pictured)
Being a wobbly cat, Sophie has been known to make a mess of herself while riding in the car (she’s a nervous pooper). Though a rare occurrence these days, she sometimes gets a bit messy in the litter box as well. After having to stop at a gas station mid road trip to give her a bath on more than one occasion, I’ve learned my lesson and will ALWAYS travel with the following “beauty supplies” for my Sophie girl.
- Cat shampoo
You can’t go on any adventure without proper entertainment! Here are a few of Sophie’s favorite toys:
2. Sisal rope muskrat kicker
3. Shiny stuff
4. Catnip feather mousie
I swear, Sophie’s suitcase is going to be bigger than mine! 😉
What are your must-have items for traveling with a cat?
*Disclosure: I was not compensated in any way for this post. I just wanted to share about our favorite travel products!