*This post contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase using one of these links, we will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, and if you’re anything like me, you’ve been racking your brain trying to come up with something special to do for your kitties. Thinking of something to do for my husband was easy, but thinking of something to do for my cats? Not so much. I wanted to do something different, something I’ve never done before. That’s when it hit me – I decided to make them homemade cat treats!
It may seem crazy to make your own cat treats when you can easily and inexpensively buy them at the store. But making them myself was fun, and I felt good knowing that I was making something for my cats that they would love (hopefully). Plus, when you make your own cat treats, you know exactly what is in them – no worrying about animal by-products, preservatives, or other chemicals!
Beware – your house will smell like cooked chicken and baked cat treats for hours, which will have your cats sniffing around the kitchen all day!
Valentine’s Day Homemade Cat Treat Recipe
Prep time: 45 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes for chicken + 25-30 minutes for treats
Yields 4-5 dozen quarter-sized treats.
- food processor or blender
- cutting board
- rolling pin
- mixing bowl
- mixing spoon
- cookie sheet
- parchment paper
- heart-shaped cookie cutter
- 1/2 pound of boneless, skinless chicken* (I used a breast, but anything will work)
- 1 cup of quick cooking oats
- 1 egg
- 1 very generous tablespoon of catnip
- 1/4 cup of flour
- 1/3 cup of water
*the chicken can be substituted for any other protein (turkey, tuna, etc…)
1. Boil the chicken until cooked throughout. As a lifelong vegetarian, I had absolutely no idea how to cook chicken, so I had to call my mom for help with this step. For anyone else who doesn’t know, chicken will turn white when it is cooked and should take about 20 minutes. Let the chicken cool when finished.
2. Preheat oven to 350º.
3. Put the oats, catnip, egg, and chicken into a food processor or blender, and pulse on low until well mixed. Add water a little bit at a time throughout the mixing process. The end result will end up looking like chicken salad.
4. Move the mixed ingredients to a mixing bowl and add the flour.
5. Knead the dough until it is no longer sticky, then place on a flour-dusted surface.
6. Use a rolling pin to flatten the dough until it is roughly 1/2 an inch thick. With a cookie cutter (I used a heart-shaped one) cut out your treats from the dough.
7. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, and place your treats onto the sheet. Bake for 20 minutes.
8. Remove the treats from the oven, and let them cool for about 15-20 minutes.
9. (Optional) Have your husband taste test them. I was so curious as to how they tasted, but since I couldn’t eat them, my husband was sweet (and crazy) enough to try them for me. He said they were bland…
The kitties didn’t seem to think so though! They scarfed them right down!
20 paws up!
Seriously, these treats have been a huge hit. Thankfully we have plenty to last us for a while!
Are you doing anything special for your kitties for Valentine’s Day?